J66 and type 42 roll film

A Polameet between fans of Polaroid®, a problem with the web site, the news of Polaroid® Passion, the rogue's gallery of members ... In short, the Polaroid® Passion lounge!
Theezm
P.......
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

J66 and type 42 roll film

Postby Theezm » Thu 04 July 2013 / 04:01 am

I just found that I have a box of unopened Type 42 Roll Film and what is clearly labeled on the back is this:

Use with all Polaroid land roll film cameras except the Model 88 series and the J66 and the J33.

However, on this website, the type 42 roll film is listed as "compatible" with all the cameras the box instructs the individual not to use.

Does anyone else have a different evaluation? Should this be changed?

3rdTrick
Polar...

Postby 3rdTrick » Thu 04 July 2013 / 05:31 am

That film should work in any 40 series camera from the 95 to the 900. While it will fit in the J66, that camera was designed for 3000 ASA film so would be listed as incompatible The J33 & 80 take 30 series film.

Looks like the section here could use a bit of editing. Just remember that roll film has not been made in over 30 years and even us old people don't have any experience with it. You will probably find that it is all dried up and totally useless but it would be fun to try it.
Pete

Theezm
P.......

Postby Theezm » Thu 04 July 2013 / 22:30 pm

Well, you were right, the film was dried up. Only a few ink stains were left on the "negative" which left a weak imprints on the paper. While no fun came out of it, it was definitely a good learning experience. I guess if anyone plans to go out looking for polaroid roll film, be sure to check to see if the package is completely sealed and has been refrigerated for the past 40 years or so.

bimo
Polaroid 20x24

Postby bimo » Fri 05 July 2013 / 07:56 am

You're damn right, those films were made a long, long time ago, and are dried out.
But nevertheless, some of us tried and managed to get something out of them, using them with a Polaroid model 110, as you can see HERE in the gallery!

:D

Theezm
P.......

Postby Theezm » Sat 06 July 2013 / 04:02 am

I saw from other people's rolls that their's expired back somewhere between 1980 and 1992. If I was going to buy roll film again, what dates should I look out for?

ulf
Fuji FP-1

Postby ulf » Sat 06 July 2013 / 22:09 pm

you shouldn't.

as i wrote in the other topic, those films are too old.

nevertheless, i understand that you would like to try. last batch was 1991 for roll films, if you find films from that year, you can give it a try, but don't spend too much money in it...

or... if you don't know what to do during your evenings, you can try this: http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/how2-filmsleeve.htm

:)

b
Mr. CONNER: Wait a second, I was here first.
AL BUNDY: Yeah, yeah, so were the Indians.

A DONNER / ECHANGER:
pièces détachées pour pack 100

3rdTrick
Polar...

Postby 3rdTrick » Sat 06 July 2013 / 22:54 pm

ulf wrote:you shouldn't.

as i wrote in the other topic, those films are too old.

nevertheless, i understand that you would like to try. last batch was 1991 for roll films, if you find films from that year, you can give it a try, but don't spend too much money in it...

or... if you don't know what to do during your evenings, you can try this: http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/how2-filmsleeve.htm

:)

b

Could not have said it better myself.

ulf, how many of those film sleeves have you done???
Pete

ulf
Fuji FP-1

Postby ulf » Sat 06 July 2013 / 23:56 pm

well, none... I don't really see the point to be honest.

having one of those cameras running with a pack 100 back is one thing, you get the manual shutter, quality of the lens. but apart for the fun, i don't see any reasons to bother that much to "manufacture" those sleeves...

well, maybe fun is sufficient after all.

A DONNER / ECHANGER:

3rdTrick
Polar...

Postby 3rdTrick » Sun 07 July 2013 / 03:36 am

ulf,
Don't just settle for the sleeves, go all the way:
http://landcameras.com/blog/type-108-restoration/

Suggestion to the OP. If you have not already done so, get an inexpensive packfilm camera and try the Fuji packfilms. You will really learn the fun of instant photography. If you like the roll film cameras like many of us do, you can have one converted to packfilm.
Pete

ulf
Fuji FP-1

Postby ulf » Sun 07 July 2013 / 16:43 pm

yes, to restore 108 this way is much more interesting, as the result might shows interesting effects.

i have this link on my favorites since a long time, never found the energy to do it, unfortunately.

but from time to time i buy some cheap expired 108, just for that manipulation. maybe one day...

b

A DONNER / ECHANGER:

Return to “Polaroid® Passion community”