SX 70 eject problem

Discussions on the SX-70 and the entire series 500, 1000, 2000 ...
Sensh
P.......
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

SX 70 eject problem

Messagepar Sensh » lun. 22 avril 2013 / 02:22 am

Hey all! I'm new here, and I have a feeling that this topic may have been covered ad infinitum, but i tried to search and didn't come up with much, so if I'm searching incorrectly, or in the wrong place, I apologize...

I have a Polaroid SX 70 with a film ejection problem, but it seems a little different than some of them.

With a new pack of film, it will ALWAYS eject the dark slide. Always. When taking photos, it ejects the film normally about 25% of the time. Meaning, on an eight pack of impossible film, I might get two normal photos. When it ejects the film, the photo is completely normal, and I get a nice, typically lovely Polaroid image. Yay.

When the film doesn't eject, the camera cycles and I hear the shutter click and everything sounds normal, but no film comes out. BUT IF I OPEN THE FILM DOOR, REMOVE THE PACK OF FILM, AND THEN RESINSERT IT, WHEN I CLOSE THE DOOR AGAIN IT ALWAYS EJECTS A PIECE OF A FILM. ALWAYS. This leads me to believe it is not a pick arm issue, although I am open to any suggestions. (I tried the pick arm "repair" on YouTube, where you kinda bend it down a little using two chop sticks, but it had no effect. Then again, I might not have done it very well...)

Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, is there anyone is the USA who refurbishes the SX 70? Like, complete mechanical restoration? I would love to have mine completely reconditioned at some point...

Thank you again,
Paul

Greg Miller
Po......

Messagepar Greg Miller » lun. 22 avril 2013 / 05:16 am

What happens if you shoot a pack of expired Polaroid film in it? You can use 600 film if you shave the little tabs off the bottom of the pack and use an ND filter on either the film pack or the lens to lower the film speed. I know the laminate materials for Polaroid film were thinner, which is why the Impossible film only holds 8 frames. Maybe it's a jamming issue in your camera? They all work a little different, so perhaps your camera just doesn't "like" the heavier Impossible frames. Just guessing, but it's a thought.

If you poke around the Impossible Service department, there are resources for repair guys here in the US that specialize in SX-70s.
"The Cell-Phone Camera... I'm Over It!"

Sensh
P.......

Good question

Messagepar Sensh » lun. 22 avril 2013 / 12:45 pm

I honestly don't know what would happen with expired Polaroid. I don't think I've ever even seen any. Lol.

Xpired
Po......

Messagepar Xpired » mar. 23 avril 2013 / 00:50 am

Hi Paul and welcome, I'm pretty new myself but will take a shot at your problem. Although you describe the problem you're having very well it is difficult to come up with a direct sollution without holding the camera.
First of all it is perfectly normal the first sheet - slide or film - is ejected whenever you insert a cassette. The camera treats every new insert as a new pack of film and ejects what ever is the first slide.
Feels as if inserting a cassette makes reset the camera, as if the film is aligned again. Could it be some durt is building up preventing the film sheet to eject properly?

Sensh
P.......

Messagepar Sensh » mer. 24 avril 2013 / 01:54 am

Thanks, Xpired. Yes, I know it is normal, but I think it is significant that the camera ejects the FIRST piece of film (or dark slide) perfectly, and then doesn't eject any of the subsequent pieces of film.

I think I am going to send it off to the place in New York that The Impossible Project recommends, and let them kinda overhaul it. I wish I had the time and inclination to tinker with it, but I'd rather go take pictures and let some professionals repair it. Lol

Irukandji
P.......

Messagepar Irukandji » ven. 26 avril 2013 / 23:41 pm

Hi, and welcome! Check if the rollers are clean and that they don't get stuck when you roll them. Until you get the problem solved, you can always put the darkslide on the pack of film when you open the camera (you have to be carefull when you put it back so it's on top of the film). This way when you close the camera, it ejects the darkslide again and you don't ruin any picture (i do it all the time when i want to take the film to another camera).
Hope this helps :o

Sensh
P.......

Messagepar Sensh » sam. 27 avril 2013 / 03:12 am

Irukandji a écrit :Hi, and welcome! Check if the rollers are clean and that they don't get stuck when you roll them. Until you get the problem solved, you can always put the darkslide on the pack of film when you open the camera (you have to be carefull when you put it back so it's on top of the film). This way when you close the camera, it ejects the darkslide again and you don't ruin any picture (i do it all the time when i want to take the film to another camera).
Hope this helps :o

Ah!! GREAT IDEA!! Thank you! (And I'm definitely going to check the rollers, because I have a feeling they might be the culprits. Thanks again,

Gibbs
P.......

Messagepar Gibbs » mer. 16 mars 2016 / 14:59 pm

It is the Mylar film at the exit door of the film pack. There is a Youtube video about it for Spectra camera. One each side of the film pack, you can use your fingernail, or thumbnail (I do the thumbnail) and pull outward and forward just a bit on the latch. Look at an empty first. Do this for each 2 sides - front. It will hinge forward. You will see the Mylar film curtain, or if it's in darkroom or dark bag, you can feel it. Grab it and peel it off. Re-insert a dark slide. Put the film back in the camera and it will NEVER jam again. Do this to each new pack. That film prevents the top sheet from getting a possibility of light "fog" if you open the film door after the film has been loaded and the dark slide on top has ejected. Fix for this is JUST DON'T OPEN that film door again after you put it in the camera. That film seems to get bunched or deformed sometimes during mfg. and will hinder the ejection of the film.
I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.

Vern

hnoor0055
P.......

Messagepar hnoor0055 » mer. 30 mars 2016 / 21:08 pm

thanks for sharing the post ( Gibbs )

Revenir vers « Polaroid® SX-70 & 1000, 2000... Land Camera »