Scanning negatives

Discussions on the Polaroid® and Fujifilm instant film: 600 film - SX 70 film - PX 100 and PX 600 - Image/Spectra, Type 100, Type 80, 4x5 Inch, 8x10 Inch, I-Zone, Instax ...
doekman
P.......
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Scanning negatives

Messagepar doekman » mar. 28 août 2012 / 22:44 pm

I read about reclaiming the negatives of Fuji-100c film. I've managed, but how can you scan them? For most negative scanners I know the size is too big... How do you guys do it?

And of course: if you do it right, is the quality much better than scanning the photo's? In other words: is it worth the hassle?

Thanks. :ilove:

bimo
Polaroid 20x24

Messagepar bimo » mer. 29 août 2012 / 00:06 am

Well, first of all, you need to have a flatbed scanner (or why not a drum scanner, let's dream :D ) that can accept transparencies up to 4x5 inches.

Then, you have several ways to scan the negative, depending on your software, the calibration of your hardware, your personal skills with digital photo processing...

What I do is to scan the negative as a slide, then I adjust the levels and invert it in Photoshop. You then have to make small adjustments on levels and color balance to get satisfaction.

But it also depends on the quality of your negative. Sometimes when you peel apart the positive from the negative, it gets solarized, and you'll have much more pain in getting "true colors" after the scan + inversion procedure.

So to answer your last question, it's not a compulsory thing to do, the positives are quite good and really easy to scan, but it may be:

1 - fun to do, if bleaching, scanning and treating it digitally is your cup of tea :D
2 - the only way to have a memory of a picture when you have given the original positive to your model or a friend.

esqua
Polaroid SLR 680

Messagepar esqua » mer. 29 août 2012 / 00:08 am

We have a bigger scanner !

And yes the quality is much better for large print, but the color rendition is bad.

esqua
Polaroid SLR 680

Messagepar esqua » mer. 29 août 2012 / 00:16 am

You can see the difference here:

positive:
negative:
(Click for larger picture. And don't mind the scratch on the negative side, this was a quick and dirty test !)

doekman
P.......

Messagepar doekman » mer. 29 août 2012 / 13:54 pm

You can really tell the difference between the print and the negative.
Thanks for the tips.

Revenir vers « Questions about Polaroid® films »