[TUTORIAL] Fuji FP100- Negative recovering - English version

Discussions on the Polaroid® and Fujifilm instant film: 600 film - SX 70 film - PX 100 and PX 600 - Image/Spectra, Type 100, Type 80, 4x5 Inch, 8x10 Inch, I-Zone, Instax ...
Invité

[TUTORIAL] Fuji FP100- Negative recovering - English version

Messagepar Invité » lun. 28 mars 2011 / 14:46 pm

TUTO by Makikofsky : http://makikofsky.free.fr/

Hi people!

Okay, so after posting several images from negatives of Fuji FP-100 film, some of you asked for the tutorial, in French... Then 2coor asked me why the method was not available in English... Now it's done ! (thanks to him ;) )
So I took a little time and courage to offer you the trick !

Some wonder why others take the lead to do this kind of manipulation.
For this tutorial, and the film FP-100 Fuji color, the reason is simple: 9 out of 10 times the exposure of your picture is better on the negative than it is on the positive. In fact when I get a negative fuji, the result is often better in terms of the positive light.

Example:

Positive: Image negative: Image

So here we go:

First the stuff. You'll need :
To start you will need:
- Fuji photo course. Especially the negative!
- The bleach, provided that any chlorine smell good: D
- adhesive tape strong enough (kind of electrician tape is better)
- Something flat and is not afraid of bleach. Here I use a ceramic square. Glass is best to appreciate the handling

Then, the process:

take only the negative without papers around ...

Image> Image

With the tape you put the negative, dark matte side (original outer surface) upwards. The goal is to paste the negative and it is relatively impervious to bleach and then apply.

Then enter you bleach, you pay on the negative (a straw can be used as pipette if the bottle is too full). By capillary action, if you do not put too much bleach will remain on the image, chosen by the Scotch without fleeing in all directions;)

Help yourself to need a cotton swab to gently spread the bleach.

Let sit idle for 2 to 3 minutes. You will find that bleach "foam" and the film Black Matte peels off by itself!

Afterwards, simply rinse under cold running water ... Hot water deforms the plastic of your negative!

Wipe a little water with paper towel, without pressing to avoid scratching the negative. This step is just to mop up residues of bleach on the edges so it does not pass the other side (if the emulsion farewell!)

Let dry, and here's the result:

Of course this method is risky, but it works quite well with and without to bother with complicated products. My only advice: Just be careful with bleach, it does not pass from the other side of the negative, otherwise the emulsion begins to melt. And watch out for your clothes, bleach, this unforgiving: mrgreen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[B] A small EDIT

- CONFIRMED : the experiment is viable on all fujis separable, except the 3000-B
- To remember that this manipulation does not work with Polaroid films [/ b]
- To make available the official documentation of the films :

FP 100 C (gloss / matt / all sizes)

FP 100 B (all sizes)

FP 3000 B: not found yet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know my English is not perfect, feel free to tell me if i made mistakes with syntax or vocab :mrgreen:

bimo
Polaroid 20x24
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Messagepar bimo » lun. 28 mars 2011 / 14:50 pm

Great job !

:super:

waz
Polaroid Encore!

Messagepar waz » lun. 28 mars 2011 / 14:57 pm

Thanks Maki, brilliant step-by-step tutorial !
Join the "Relax Attitude" club:
Golden members: Waz, Bertrand, Laurette, Rain, Joone

2coor
Polaroid 195 NPC

Messagepar 2coor » lun. 28 mars 2011 / 15:10 pm

:class:
www.jeanchiegrave.tumblr.com / Fb : mathieugabrielpics

miller
P.......

Fuji B/W

Messagepar miller » mer. 30 mars 2011 / 18:02 pm

Well done, I use a different method for colour and correct regarding the negative having more detail... For Fuji B/W I use different method also as more involved than colour with its thinner base...

Rgds

Mlr

bimo
Polaroid 20x24

Re: Fuji B/W

Messagepar bimo » mer. 30 mars 2011 / 18:19 pm

miller a écrit :Well done, I use a different method for colour and correct regarding the negative having more detail... For Fuji B/W I use different method also as more involved than colour with its thinner base...

Is it a secret or could you give us you method, Miller ?

:hehe:

Lemim
Admin Polaroid Passion

Messagepar Lemim » ven. 01 avril 2011 / 10:13 am

WOw Maki, thanx to translate it in english, great great job :super: :bisous:

miller
P.......

Fuji

Messagepar miller » ven. 01 avril 2011 / 18:18 pm

It's no secret, I have a tutorial that I will place here also and explain the difference with B/W soon.

Rgds all

Mlr

gnochon
Polaroid Swinger

Messagepar gnochon » ven. 01 avril 2011 / 21:44 pm

I use basically the same method exept that I wash the chemical off the negative first. I soak the negative in water for a few minutes then I gently rub it off with my fingers. The soaking also softens the paper stuck on the negative. I scratch the paper off with my nails. Removing the paper leftovers is the main reason why I do this first. When you tape the negative to bleach the paint off, the tape touches directly the surface of the negative and makes a more bleach tight joint. The better joint allow to make a smaller tape lips thus stripping more of the black paint off.

For black and white I am having a real hard time. I think I was able to find a good way around but I am looking forward to learn more about your method Miller. I noticed the emulsion becomes soft an can be removed if it gets wet again. Is there something I do not do ?

bimo
Polaroid 20x24

Re: Fuji

Messagepar bimo » ven. 01 avril 2011 / 21:57 pm

miller a écrit :It's no secret, I have a tutorial that I will place here also and explain the difference with B/W soon.

Rgds all

Mlr

Great !

:super:

miller
P.......

Messagepar miller » sam. 02 avril 2011 / 12:43 pm

At the ready are a stiff brush of about a quarter of an inch, glass that fits into your sink, waterproof tape, bleach and a hairdryer.

Firstly tape up the negative side and if you still have the print side I would leave it in situ.
Required is a tape that will not leak, duct/gaffer tape that says 'waterproof' I would recommend. Electrical tape may also suffice but do a test first as the problem I guess most people are having is the leakage.

Use strong pressure to get a tight seal, place in the sink and cover with only enough thick bleach to cover the surface area.

Brush lightly and evenly [important] for about ten seconds or more (the brush seems to agitate the black backing which helps) and just rinse with warm water. If there is any backing still left just use the brush to remove.

Drain and use a hairdryer set on warm to clear the excess water of the print and glass. Peel away and shazam....

The image was from a slide printer on to FP100c so this is just a second generation negative. An image straight from a camera would be sharper...

Anyway, that aside I have had no problems doing 100b negs.. Same process but wash the goop away in running cold water and leave to dry [the film base is thin so be careful here] before taping to the glass to remove the backing.

bimo
Polaroid 20x24

Messagepar bimo » sam. 02 avril 2011 / 18:30 pm

Thanks !
That's pretty close to the previous méthode, anyway both will be kept in this reminder.

adneycandy
P.......

Messagepar adneycandy » mar. 05 avril 2016 / 12:01 pm

Same process but wash the goop away in running cold water and leave to dry [the film base is thin so be careful here] before taping to the glass to remove the backing.

Revenir vers « Questions about Polaroid® films »