opening film compartments

Here you can post anything about everything, that's the coffe shop around the corner... Music, tips, mad stuff ... that's here!
qwsxc
P.......

opening film compartments

Postby qwsxc » Wed 27 June 2012 / 14:12 pm

Hi
I buy lots of used polaroid cameras at flea markets, garage sales ect
If I open the film compartment to check for film, will I expose the film?
Are there certain cameras where this does expose and others that it does not?
Thanks!!

Aze
Polaroid SX-70 Alpha 1 Gold
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Re: opening film compartments

Postby Aze » Wed 27 June 2012 / 14:50 pm

qwsxc wrote:Hi
I buy lots of used polaroid cameras at flea markets, garage sales ect
If I open the film compartment to check for film, will I expose the film?
Are there certain cameras where this does expose and others that it does not?
Thanks!!

Hi,

so, you're on a polaroid buying spree? Good for you.
You had guessed correctly. On some cameras, you will be able to open the film compartment without exposing it, some where you can't.

You can safely open the film compartment on SX-70, 600, 600CL, etc. cameras. Most "integral film" cameras really. That's because when you are not actually shooting, the film is in no way in use, it just remains in the cartridge which protects it from light. You can therefore open the compartment, as long as you don't remove the cartridge.

For pack 100 cameras (210, 330, 180, 250, colorpack, EE100, etc.), it's a little more tricky. Because the film is composed of several parts and the ejection system is manual, there is always at least a strip of paper coming out of the camera. This strip is attached to the film in itself so, if you open the compartment when there is film inside, you risk forcing on the paper strip and exposing not only the first image but all the images still present in the cartridge. So it really is best not to open these cameras while they are loaded.

I hope this was clear enough! :mrgreen:

By the way, it wouldn't hurt to introduce yourself. There is a dedicated section for this. Not doing it is like coming to a shop without saying "hello"
http://en.polaroid-passion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
One pola a day keeps the doctor away!
http://insidethedarkroom.tumblr.com

Return to “OpenTalk Box”